12.31.2005

records acquired recently

Okay, so I generally frown upon "record score" internet bragaddocio for a number of reasons, chief among them being that it's a facet of ridiculous consumerist collection-fetish and that I just don't have sophisticated enough taste to really feel comfortable showing off my belongings with regard to music.

With that out of the way, I bring you a few records I've acquired in the past week that I am genuinely excited about:

Johnny Cash: The Legend boxed set. My mother purchased this for me for Christmas, shoving me off down the road of Boxed Set Ownership. It's got a whole lot of (really good) songs. And HEY I liked him before the damn movie, alright? Even before he died.

Bee Gees: Rare Precious and Beautiful (this is stuff they recorded in Australia prior to being picked up by Stigwood, rereleased in 1968) and 2 Years On, the first sort-of comeback album they did after their sort-of breakup, but before they started playing embarrassingly bad music.

Elton John: Honky Chateau. I'm definitely a sucker for "Rocket Man," and I also have a soft spot for anyone who can so seamlessly mix serious heartbreaking stuff like that with ridiculous almost-novelty songs like "I Think I'm Going to Kill Myself." (Ben Folds Five is another that comes quickly to mind in that category.)

Steely Dan: Can't Buy a Thrill. Their first album, aka The One with "Reelin' in the Years" on it. I guess you could also call it The One With "Do it Again" On It, or, if your priorities are truly twisted, The One with "Dirty Work" On It, but you'd be missing the point in either case. "Reelin' in the Years" is amazing, mostly for the content and delivery of its verses, so far as I'm concerned, and the use of the dual-guitar matched solo, years before Thin Lizzy did it.

I was honestly a bit startled that of the 4 albums that I bought myself, no less than three were from 1972. My predeliction for somewhat cheezy late-'60s and early-'70s pop is taking over my life. If you'd like to get to work early on my birthday gift for this year (it's only nine months away!), perhaps you'd look into AM Gold?